APHRC seeks to recruit six Researchers to work within our Human Development Theme.
Responsibilities (dependent on level appointed):
- Provide leadership to scientific research teams or projects in an area related to early childhood development (ECD), education and/or youth empowerment;
- Contribute to policy engagement and the theme’s strategic planning activities;
- Lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising for research projects in the Theme;
- Mentor young researchers, and facilitate sessions in the Center’s training programs as needed;
- Secure and manage the necessary human, financial and material resources in the Theme, project or program;
- Represent the Center at high level national, regional and international forums, including relevant technical working groups and expert committees;
- Contribute to institutional publications including and not limited to lay dissemination materials such as policy/research briefs and fact sheets; and
- Oversee data quality and analyses.
Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD in educational psychology, developmental psychology, early childhood development, sociology of education, education administration, education management, economics, tests and measurement, linguistics, teaching methods, comparative and international education, technology education, special education, curriculum studies, gender studies with a focus on education, policy studies with a focus on education, statistics with application in education, development studies, youth and community studies or any other related discipline;
- Experience working in a research institution, conducting research, leading or managing research programs or projects;
- Experience with conducting impact evaluations of ECD and/or education interventions will be an added advantage;
- Fluency in English; being multilingual (English and French) will be an added advantage;
- Excellent scientific writing skills;
- Good quantitative or qualitative skills, experience with mixed methods will be an added advantage provided one is very strong in quantitative or qualitative methods;
- Strong proposal writing skills and track record of winning research grants.
Successful candidates may be appointed at postdoctoral (0-2 years after PhD), Associate Research Scientist (3-5 years after PhD), Research Scientist (6-11 years after PhD) or Senior Research Scientist (12+ years after PhD) levels depending on experience and track record. The above positions come with an attractive, internationally-competitive remuneration package including medical, travel and life insurance cover. Allowances toward in-relocation (for those recruited from outside Kenya) and dependents’ education are also provided. Nationals of sub-Saharan African countries are highly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: March 31, 2023
Method of Application
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application through our recruitment portal in English, and include:
- A letter of application;
- A statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and
- CV with contact details of three referees
Interested and qualified? Go to African Population And Health Research Center (APHRC) on aphrc.org to apply