This post is located in the Ecosystems Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Chief of the Source to Sea Pollution Unit and within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops, implements and evaluates nutrients and source to sea pollution programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Performs consultations, in collaboration with the partners/ clients, by planning facilitating workshops and partnership activities, through interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the partners/clients will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of action plans and impact evaluations or equivalent studies,
- Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyses, and interprets responses / data, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, review of partnership materials, etc.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, resource mobilization to fill budget gaps).
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Performs other duties as may be required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to nutrient management, source to sea pollution or sustainable development. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental science, natural resource management, agricultural economics, international relations or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in preparing scientific analysis and convening policy action on nutrients and pollution prevention/control, with a strong understanding of policy issues related to nutrient cycle management is desirable.
- Experience working within the United Nations context, or an international organization is desirable.
- Experience with the coordination and management of multistakeholder partnerships, capacity development, assessments and the development of action plans is desirable.
- Experience of database management, online platform development / management and website maintenance is desirable.
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) on careers.un.org to apply