Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the above position based in Nairobi Kenya. The position holder will report to the Nurse Manager, Accident & Emergency Department.
- Triage each patient using the CETAS criteria and determines priority of care based on physical, psychological and social needs.
- Identify patients with infectious diseases and initiate appropriate isolation precautions and communicate as appropriate.
- Performs focused assessment of chief complaints of each patient in a timely manner according to established triage guidelines
- Provides professional nursing care for assigned patients in the emergency room
- Complete head to toe assessment and re-assessment of patients to identify their care needs.
- Carry out hemodynamic monitoring to include vital signs, neurological and fluid status; labs and radiological evaluations
- Document all assessment data, investigation results, care given, discussions with the multidisciplinary team, family/patient interactions in an accurate, comprehensive and timely manner
- Administer medication safely, monitor patient responses to medication and promptly report adverse reactions.
- Dispose of clinical and non-clinical waste safely in accordance with Aga Khan University Hospital guidelines on waste management
- Prepare for and assist physicians to perform various procedures such as insertion of invasive lines
- Carry out pre-operative care for the surgical patients
- Maintain adequate airway management to include oxygen therapy, nebulization and suctioning
- Prepare patients for various investigations including lab and radiological imaging.
- Collect specimens in emergency situations and ensure correct labeling.
- Perform pain assessment and reassessment; and initiate analgesia as per protocol
- Promptly report both clinical and non-clinical unusual findings/incidences to the nurse manager, team leader or physician
- Identify patient and family education needs and implement appropriate teaching
- Provide safe environment for patients through adherence to infection control practices and other safety policies.
- Participate in quality initiatives including clinical care program certification (CCPC)
- Follow discharge procedure according to hospital protocol, and ensure follow up appointments are made appropriately
- Be accountable for judicious use of resources and ensure accurate and timely billing of supplies.
- Care for equipment through cleaning, storage, per shift check of the inventory and timely reporting and follow up of non-functional equipment to the nurse manager
- Participate in unit based continuing education, quality improvement (QI) projects, audits, spot checks and skill checks.
- RN from a recognized school of nursing or University
- Current licensure with the Nursing Council of Kenya
- Certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
- Demonstrate evidence based knowledge of current practices in emergency nursing