The Medical Specialists (Paediatric) are responsible to the Head of Department in the provision of specialized diagnostic, curative, rehabilitative and preventive health care services to the population under their care; they are entrusted to provide quality health care services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement clinical decisions for specialised quality inpatient and outpatient care that includes provision of promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative services;
- Implement hospital programmes within their respective specialities
- Champion continuous quality healthcare standards and patient safety guidelines
- Assist in mentoring and coaching of staff in the respective specialities;
- Coordinate intervention activities and programs for training health professionals in community health and health management in hospitals/health facilities
- Implementing clinical review protocols procedures and work instructions for the practice of specialized care
- Coordinating and managing referral care within the framework of the hospital and national referral policies
- Consult with other specialists to solve single or multiple medical issues as required by patients in the hospital
- Undertaking research activities in the speciality and implement the research findings to improve quality of service delivery
- Performing emergency medical procedures
- Collaborates, writes and responds to requests for consultation from other Specialist throughout the Hospital in the diagnosis and management of patients not directly under his/her care.
- Providing high standards of specialized clinical services to patients in the wards and specialized clinics
- Performing regular rounds with the registrars and other officers to assist in patient management.
- Communicating to all patients under their care about the nature of their illness and the outlook in treatment of their well-being so that they understand the full extent of their recovery or disability as may be the case.
- Carryout specialized diagnostic, therapeutic medical or surgical procedures
- Accepting responsibility for the teaching of the highest standards of medical practice to medical specialists-in-training, medical officers, medical interns and other students;
- Executing Medico-legal duties including filling of P3 forms, court attendance and forensic duties
- Participating in community diagnosis, preventive & promotive care and treatment;
- Utilizing patient data to benefit the customer and service provider;
- Undertake medical research & clinical audits and implementing the findings.
Qualifications and Experience
- Masters of Medicine degree in Paediatric or equivalent qualification from an institution recognized by the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery (MBChB.) or its equivalent qualification from an institution recognized by the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council.
- Specialist recognition in Paediatric from the Kenya Medical Practitioners’ and Dentist Council. However, paediatrician that have finished Mmed in paediatric and are undergoing pre-KMPDC registration attachment are encouraged to apply.
- Registration Certificate by the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council.
- Valid practicing license in Paediatric from Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council.
- Professional Indemnity Cover
Method of Application
Interested applicants who meet the requirements are requested to download and fill the application form. The application form together with a detailed C.V listing the qualifications, experience, current responsibilities, copies of testimonials and certificates must be submitted on or before 3rd April, 2023 to the address below:-
The Chief Executive Officer
Kenyatta National Hospital
P.O Box 20723-00202