The Livelihoods & Program Development Officer will play a critical role in supporting two functions within the ERD TU: the Livelihoods pillar and the Strategic Initiatives pillar. Working with Deputy Director Strategic Initiatives, the Livelihoods & Program Development Officer plays an instrumental role in supporting the development and roll-out of strategic initiatives, program development, and global tools and resources. The position will also work closely with the Deputy Director Livelihoods to plan, coordinate and implement administration and global resources support for the livelihoods team.
ERD Partnership Approaches, Development & Support (30%):
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of tools and resources for partner research, cultivation, and engagement.
- Support ERD country programs in private sector mapping exercises, including leading desk research, project management, and capacity building of country program staff in engaging private sector stakeholders.
- Add to the development of design concepts and proposals to fund established private sector partnership models promoting livelihoods outcomes.
- Lead efforts to document and share lessons learned across IRC’s network of country programs in private sector engagement work.
Strategic ERD Business Development Support (30%):
- Provide dedicated support (including project management during capture, pre-design, and design phases, input collation, partner engagement, and drafting) to strategic livelihoods business development opportunities, as coordinated by the Deputy Director, Strategic Initiatives, and Deputy Director, Livelihoods.
- Develop and manage library of concept note templates, program designs, narratives, and stock language to be saved, refined, and used to streamline future business development opportunities.
Livelihoods Communications and Knowledge Management / Resource Development (30%):
- Support the livelihoods team with capacity statements, technical briefs, presentations, newsletter and external materials, and lead on knowledge management, organization, and dissemination of relevant materials.
- Further the development and dissemination of the ERD Newsletter, a bi-monthly newsletter shared within IRC.
- Support ongoing intra- and inter-departmental projects such as the ERD Community of Practice, a monthly meeting that convenes global IRC ERD colleagues to share findings and implementation experiences, working closely with the ERD Program Assistant and Cash & Markets Assistant.
- Produce resources on the work of the ERD/livelihoods sub-unit, for internal and external dissemination.
Livelihoods Team Operations (10%):
- Lead scheduling of key livelihoods team meetings and maintain related documents (scheduler, workplan, meeting notes, etc.) as needed.
- When needed, assist the livelihoods team in planning and logistics of workshops, conferences, meetings, team retreats, in collaboration with the ERD Program Assistant.
- Conduct other administrative tasks as needed in support of the smooth operations of the livelihoods team.
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, business, nutrition, agriculture, or other relevant field required; Masters level degree or equivalent lived experience encouraged.
- 3-5 years of work experience in the humanitarian or development sector with progressive management and decision-making responsibility, preferably with at least 2 years of international experience implementing humanitarian and/or development programs with livelihoods components. Experience working in diverse emergency, recovery, post-conflict or development contexts preferred.
Demonstrated Skills And Competencies
- Knowledge of livelihoods programs in humanitarian or development contexts, and/or experience working in the private sector highly preferred.
- Outstanding relationship management, writing, and presentation skills.
- Experience leading or supporting proposal development and fundraising a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills involving listening to, interacting with, and communicating clearly with people from diverse nationalities and backgrounds with a high degree of professionalism and pro-activity.
- Proficiency with Windows-based software (MS Office, Teams) and cloud-based storage systems such as BOX.
- Excellent Microsoft Teams, Zoom and similar remote work platforms skills.
- Skills for, and interest in, providing creative means of training and developing staff in organizational systems and procedures.
- Demonstrated dedication to an anti-racist and Do No Harm approach, gender equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Capacity to work flexible hours, as appropriate to accommodate for different time zones.
- Proven organizational skills: proficiency in working productively under remote team and management structures across teams.