The candidate will be expected to support laboratory activities in Kwale KEMRI laboratory. The Laboratory Technologists will be asked to coordinate and process sample receival, storage, processing and shipment. The Laboratory Technologists will have good knowledge of quality assurance procedures, be able to draft, follow and review standard operating procedures (SOPs) as well as laboratory analytical plan. The Laboratory Technologists will work together with a team of field workers, scientists and clinicians and will provide support in the lab when requested.
- Learn and follow the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) of the study including: receipt and registration of samples, sample quality control, storage of biological samples, follow-up of samples and resolution of anomalies, among others;
- Keep all sample registration and recording and ensure it is conducted appropriately;
- Participate in training of field workers;
- Ensure adequate sample labelling and storage.
- Perform quality assurance activities and anomalies resolution;
- Ensure that the handling of samples follows the flow established in the SOPs;
- Keep an open communication with the Laboratory Supervisor to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements for the protection of human participants;
- Assist in the preparation of the shipping of samples to the processing laboratories in Kilifi, Kenya, and Basel, Switzerland;
- Follow the biosafety rules applicable in the work area;
- Attend all necessary trainings;
- Whenever necessary, other tasks may be assigned.
- Diploma in biomedical sciences, laboratory technology or any other related field;
- IATA certificate will be an added advantage;
- GCP and GCLP training will be an added advantage;
- Proficiency in reading and writing in English and Swahili
- study specific procedures.
- Experience in Laboratory Techniques.
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Practices (GCP) and Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP).
- Knowledge of basic informatics: ability to input data into a tablet.
- Experience working in Kwale County or knowledge of the area (desired, but not essential)
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Team player and proactive.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
Terms of Employment
Eight (8) months renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service. Probation period for the first 3 months. Salary is payable within the stated job grade.