The Climate Change Mitigation Unit wishes to engage the services of a Finance and Budget Assistant for a period of 6 months to assist in the management of the portfolio. Under the supervision of the Fund Management and Administrative Officers in the UNEP GEF Climate Change Mitigation Office, Nairobi,the Finance and Budget Assistant will work with other finance staff and assist in project and fund management of the Portfolio.
Budget and Finance
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements.
- Consolidates budget/work programme with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds, grants and procurement;
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary;
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions;
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures;
- Prepares or customizes financial reports from Umoja generated reports;
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters;
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field;
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating seminars, conferences and translations);
- May be responsible for guiding and training new colleagues to the team.
- Assists with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services;
- Audits the contractors’ invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN;
- Processes the payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor payments;
- Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
Perform other relevant duties.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A professional qualification in an accounting or finance-related subject is required.
- Additional technical qualifications such as certified public account (CPA) or equivalent are required.
- A minimum of seven years work experience in the fields of Accounting, Finance or related area is required.
- Proven experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as Systems Applications and Products (SAP) is required.
- Experience with finance related areas within the UN system or other international development organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.