For appointment to this position, a candidate must:
- be a holder of an earned PhD from a reputable university and be at the level of either a Professor or Associate Professor;
- have at least eight (8) years academic and research experience with a scholarly record demonstrated by publications in high impact internationally peer reviewed journals and citations in their areas of specialization and supervision of Masters and Doctoral Students;
- have served successfully in a Senior Administrative and Management positions at the level of a Dean/ Director/ Deputy Principal or a Constituent College/Principal of a Campus College in a University or in other comparable level(s) for at least five (5) years;
- have attracted research/project grants, community development funds and other awards;
- be a team player with excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills and have capacity to work effectively with staff, students and other stakeholders;
- have good understanding of the national policies and strategies governing University education and training in Kenya;
- be a registered member of good standing of professional associations in their area of specialization;
- have capacity to mobilize resources and expand physical facilities necessary to cater for the increasing student enrollment and academic programmes;
- be of the highest ethical standards, integrity, accountability and professionalism and comply with the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya.
- prudence in the management of university resources;
- strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- ability to portray and uphold positive national and international image and work in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity to and respect for diversity;
- ability to initiate new projects and follow them to completion;
- excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- ability to work under pressure, to manage emerging crisis and challenges;
- have ability and demonstrable leadership skills to effectively coordinate planning, financial and administrative function in a university environment; and
- have demonstrable collective bargaining skills in the public sector with experience of labour relation issues
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities of a Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration, Planning and Finance) will include:-
- developing, reviewing, and implementation of university policies on administration planning and finance.
- chairing the performance contracting, budget allocation, space allocation, alcohol and drug abuse, staff training and staff disciplinary (Job group 12 and below)committees.
- overseeing budget preparation for the administration, finance and planning division to ensure the division has adequate resources to achieve its mandate.
- overseeing preparation of annual procurement and work plans relating to the division to ensure the division has sufficient labour to achieve its mandate.
- overseeing performance appraisal relating to subordinate staff to ensure staff are operating at optimal performance levels.
- guiding recruitment, selection, appointment and promotion process in line with set guidelines.
- offering secretariat services to the University Management Board (UMB)
- sitting and participating as a substantive member in the Senate and UMB
- advising the university Council, Vice-Chancellor and Management Board on the University’s development needs with respect to facilities, infrastructure and other requirements.
- overseeing general student welfare provision in line with formulated policies to ensure all students have a conducive learning environment; and
- building national and international linkages through new and established collaborations so as to ensure administration, planning and finance outcomes to meet international standards.
Method of Application
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO NOTE:
The names of shortlisted candidates shall be published on the Commission’s website;
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to present originals of the following documents during the interviews:
- National Identity Card;
- Academic and Professional Certificates and transcripts;
- Any other supporting documents and testimonials; and
- Recommendations from relevant professional bodies and associations.
- Recommendations from at least three (3) referees should be sent separately to the
- address below within the application deadline.
MODE OF APPLICATION
- Candidates may submit manual (hard copy) or electronic (online) applications;
- All applications should be submitted together with detailed Curriculum Vitae, a copy of ID/Passport, copies of academic certificates, testimonials and any other relevant supporting documents;
- Scanned copies of these documents must accompany the online application;
- The Curriculum Vitae should include information on academic qualifications, professional experience, leadership and management roles, publications, awards, scholarships, funding, membership of professional association, linkages and community service, email address and telephone contacts;
Manual applications should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked:
- “Application for the position of Vice Chancellor– Kisii University’’
- “Application for the position of Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration, Planning and Finance) – Kisii University” and delivered to:
Public Service Commission
4th Floor Commission House
Off Harambee Avenue
P.O Box 30095-00100
Online applications may be submitted via email to: email@example.com
All applications should reach the Public Service Commission on or before 20th March, 2023 latest 5.00 p.m. (East African Time).