The Data Journalist will be responsible for collecting, analyzing and visualizing data to create compelling stories and reports. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in journalism, data analysis, and graphics, visualization and communication.
- Research and curate compelling content and narratives for the audience;
- Work closely with editors and reporters to develop data-driven stories and reports, and infographics to be hosted on the Center’s website;
- Develop graphics, images, storyboards and other interactive learning content;
- Research and develop new data sources and techniques to improve the quality and depth of our data-driven reporting;
- Create visually compelling data visualizations to accompany news stories and reports; and
- Stay up-to-date with trends and best practices in data communication and visualization.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Graphic Design, Information Design, Business Analytics, Journalism or a related field.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in visual storytelling, data journalism with a focus on data analysis and visualization.
- Strong understanding of journalistic principles and standards.
- Proven experience in using graphic design software such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge with data analysis and visualization tools, such as Excel, Python, Visio, Tableau, Power BI.
- Some knowledge of WordPress and front-end web languages (HTML, CSS, JS).
- Experience as a content writer, copywrite or editor in a data-driven environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to quickly identify and analyze trends in data.
- Knowledge and experience in understanding Google analytics, HubSpot and Hotjar to extract valuable insights from information generated in the unit.
- Strong verbal and written communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrable passion for news and current events, with a keen interest in exploring data-driven stories and trends to inform less-technical audiences.