Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Public Advocacy and Communication Section and additional supervision from the Air Quality Coordinator, the consultant will contribute to:
- Global coordination for the observance of the International Day of Clean Air for blue skies as well as communication on air pollution in general. This includes coordination of various working groups, engagement with existing and new partners; facilitation of participation of and inputs from the regional offices, support from member states and stakeholder groups; as well as the design and preparation of communication campaigns, assets, and activities, including any associated flagship events, and maintenance of digital presence.
- Production of various programmatic documents in relation to the Day and air pollution in general, including briefs, concept papers, and reports. This also includes the event report based on major highlights, activities, and engagements, including digital and social media activities and engagements across all channels and for all partners.
- Engagement with air pollution/air quality programmatic colleagues and offices across the main emitting sectors to ensure all relevant opportunities for communicating work on air pollution mitigation are undertaken based on latest science and innovations including any relevant updates to the existent air pollution dashboard in line with the aforementioned. This will also include supporting air pollution content and data related coordination as well as documentation and dissemination of best practices and successful case studies.
- Forging new and maintaining existing partnerships with major stakeholders, including the private sector and the civil society with a focus on aligning efforts toward addressing the issue of air pollution and mobilizing resources.
- Plan and maintain a steady pipeline of content on air pollution and keep content updated on UNEP’s corporate and the Days websites as well as any other campaign pages.
- Public advocacy and communication tasks aimed at air pollution action and improving air quality.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, international relations, social sciences or other related field, is required.
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, communication, programme management or related field is required.
- Prior experience of working with UNEP or a UN organization is desirable.
- Prior experience in public advocacy and communication on air pollution is desirable.
Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is an added advantage