Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the above position based in Nairobi Kenya. The position holder will report to the Nursing Manager, Pediatrics Department Nursing Division.
- Complete assessment and re-assessment of Pediatric patients to identify their care needs
- Develop written care plans based on Pediatric patients changing needs, monitor and evaluate effectiveness of interventions
- Actively contributes feedback during patient rounds with physicians and ensures that patients’ investigations, reports and updates on clinical information are available.
- Administers medication safely, monitors patients, response to medication and provides medication use education to patients and families.
- Document all assessment data, investigation results, care given, discussions with the multidisciplinary team, and family/patient interactions in an accurate, comprehensive and timely manner.
- Perform pain assessment and initiate analgesia as per protocol.
- Accurately administer all medication as per the treatment order sheet and in line with MMU guidelines
- Identify patient and family education needs and implement appropriate teaching
- Be able to commence enteral, oral and gastric feeds as prescribed, assess absorption and elimination and give feedback as appropriate
- Be able to recognize a patient in a pre- arrest or arrest states, and to activate Emergency Response Team and actively participate in the resuscitation of the patient
- Provide safe environment for patients through adherence to infection control practices and other safety policies, and perform timely safety checks on incubators, IV pumps, oxygen source, and cardiac monitors.
- Be accountable for judicious and efficient use of resources i.e. accurate and timely billing of ward stock drugs and consumables
- Care for equipment through proper cleaning, storage, per shift check of the inventory and timely reporting and follow up of nonfunctional equipment to the nurse manager
- Participate in unit based nursing education, quality improvement (QI) projects, audits, spot checks and skill checks
- Ensures code pink is practiced at all times.
- Assist in orientation of new nurses and mentoring of junior nursing staff and students
- Provide leadership for the team and manage the unit in a given shift
- Participate in and facilitate unit based nursing education, quality improvement (QI) projects, audits, spot checks and skill checks.
- Provides basic nursing care without supervision.
- KRCHN/KRM/BScN from a recognized school of Nursing or University
- Current Licensure with the Nursing council of Kenya
- Certificate in Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in an acute care hospital.
- Demonstrate evidence based knowledge of current practices in Paediatrics nursing