The Chief Officer shall be the authorized officer in the Department of Public Communication and shall be responsible to the County Executive Committee Member for Governance, Administration, Communication and Devolution.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Administration of the county department
- Implementation of County Executive Committee resolutions as guided by the Executive Committee Member;
- Ensuring effective service delivery through implementation of laid out policies and regulations;
- Promoting access to information in conformity with Article 35 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
- Development and implementation of departments strategic plans and sector development plans;
- Ensuring promotion of national values and principles of governance as outlined in the constitution of Kenya 2010;
- Ensuring effective and efficient utilization of the department’s financial and non-financial resources; Responsible for professional, administrative and operational matters relating to public communications in the entire County.
- The formulation, implementation and co-ordination of Information and Public Communication policies, programmes strategies and design of appropriate programmes and infrastructure to facilitate its implementation in the County
- Advising on Information and Public Communications issues
- Monitoring information and public communications policies and programs and reviewing them as appropriate
- identifying County Government events that require packaging for dissemination to the media and the public
- Leads from the front in formulating workable public relations and crisis management programs to ensure and edge in good corporate image.
- Preparing media supplements, documentaries, press release/media features
- Ensuring that the County’s digital media platforms and website are well managed and issues raised and responded to appropriately.
- preparing and organizing fora where County Government policies, programmes and projects can be propagated and promoted; and
- Ensuring professionalism, ethics and consistency in information gathering and dissemination
- Instituting good corporate governance compliances processes;
- Leading in performance management and measurement;
- Facilitating information, communication and feedback mechanisms;
- Promoting the realization of County Integrated Development Plan (CIDP);
- Interpreting and applying National and County laws and other related statutes in line with the County goals and objectives;
- Formulation and implementation of effective programs to attain vision 2030 and sector goals; and
- Performing other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Be a Kenyan citizen;
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in either Public Relations, Communication or Journalism from a University recognized in Kenya.
- Possession of Master’s degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage;
- Possession of a relevant professional qualification and membership with a relevant professional body will be added advantage;
- Have a vast knowledge and experience of not less than 10 years in a relevant field, 5 years of which MUST be in leadership or senior management position in public or private sector;
- Have a proven experience in managing resources in a high performing organization;
- Demonstrate general knowledge of the County Government and its functions.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication and interpersonal skills;
- Exhibited the ability to work in a team and with no supervision;
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and have ability to handle pressure;
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of socio-economic development objectives and the Homa Bay County Integrated Development Plan and vision 2030
- Be result oriented and a strategic thinker;
- Have ability to work in a multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect to diversity;
- Demonstrate understanding and commitment to the values and principles of governance and public service as outlined in Articles 10 and 232 of the Constitution of Kenya;
- Be computer literate and have a working knowledge of IFMIS
- Demonstrable leadership and management capacity including Knowledge of financial management and strategic people management.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the constitution of Kenya 2010 on leadership
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Homa-Bay County Public Service Board on www.homabay.go.ke to apply