- Works with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of the climate and Water workstream of the International Climate Initiative (IKI) Congo project, providing a liaison function with the other workstreams of the project, to support the coordination office in the Congo’s support and connect to UNEP’s implementing and collaborating partners including the UNEP- Danish Hydrological Institute (DHI) Centre on Water and Environment and Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO).
- Monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Assists the freshwater unit with the design and dissemination of global freshwater data collection tools and methodologies; specifically related to the global data drives for the three Sustainable Development Goal (SDG6) indicators within UN Environment’s custodianship – including identifying and liaising directly with national indicator and SDG6 focal points, communicates data requests and disseminating indicator methodologies, guidance and complementary training and resource materials, as well as data reporting processes and procedures.
- Contributes to the day to day running of a help desk system to manage data submissions and country queries and supports coordination with technical expert partners during the global data drive in 2020.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, by gathering inputs, providing edits and contributing to the preparation of reports and other materials related to SDG indicators and targets.
- Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Contributes to the collection and analysis of data as well as identification of trends or patterns and provides draft insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Performs any other duties as may be required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING& ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental management, water management or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in Environmental management, water management or related fields is required.
- Experience working in international and intergovernmental settings is desirable.
- Experience of project work in developing countries on water issues is desirable.
- Experience of supporting capacity building activities is desirable.
- Experience of working with data bases, statistics and working with global data sets, including satellite-based data is desirable.
- One year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable (none if successful YPP or P-1 with a related degree).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) on careers.un.org to apply