The AI Software Engineer will be responsible for creating deployable versions of all Machine Learning models and integration of these into products for improving health and well-being. They will join APHRC’s multidisciplinary team to help in shaping new strategy and showcasing the potential for AI through early-stage solutions.
The AI Software Engineer will:
- Develop ML models alongside DSE’s data engineers, data analysts, data scientists and provide provide end to end AI solutions;
- Build Code Infrastructure from ML models developed by data scientists in DSE using advanced technologies;
- Package ML models into usable products by researches and policy makers;
- Create End Point APIs from the ML algorithms. These will include products such mobile applications, web services, chatbots, CDSS etc.;
- Develop the development of platform for data sharing;
- Provide updates on breakthrough artificial intelligence technologies with the potential to transform the Center’s research environment, the research staff or policy makers’ experience and influence policy development and decision making;
- Work closely with DSE data engineers, program and data managers to produce data into usable formats for analysis;
- Prepare and support monthly reports and scientific publications;
- Support data managers in the use of the metadata software programs;
- Develop training curricula and training materials;
- Attend DSE technical and progress meetings; and
- Contribute to report and manuscript writing, knowledge translation products, grants, and ethics review board applications.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- PhD in Data science, Applied Mathematics, Computational Science and Engineering, Applied Statistics. Master’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Software Development, or other related field.
- At least three years of experience formulating and strategizing AI solutions; with at least one-year’s postdoctoral experience.
- Solid understanding of common programming languages used in AI, such as Python, Java, C++, and R.
- Advanced knowledge of statistical and algorithmic models as well as of fundamental mathematical concepts, such as linear algebra and probability.
- Experience working with large data sets and writing efficient code capable of processing large data streams at speed.
- Proven experience in applying AI to practical and all-inclusive technology solutions.
- Hands-on knowledge in machine learning, deep learning, Tensorflow, Python, NLP.
- Understanding of functional design principles, object-oriented programming principles, basic algorithms.
- Expertise in REST API development, NoSQL design, RDBMS design.
- Proven expertise in using deep learning, neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), computer vision, chatbots, and robotics to help the internal teams promote diverse research outcomes and drive innovation is a must have.
- Understanding of ETL framework and ETL tools including Alteryx and Microsoft SSIS.
- Digital marketing analytics tools including Google 360, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager and Adobe Marketing Suite.
- Experience with data visualization tools like R shiny, matplotlib, ggplot, d3.js.ArcGIS, QGIS, Tableau to visually encode data and generation of dashboards for interpretation.
- Good communication skills to describe findings to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, self-driven, has attention to detail with a strong analytical mind.
- Demonstrate ability to work both independently and to work collaboratively with internal and external team members, and stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task, work accurately and effectively to deadlines; has good self-assessment of timing of tasks and ability to set deadlines. Organizational and time management skills to manage and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of technical and analytic challenges, and learning new approaches and topics.
Deadline: March 31, 2023
Method of Application
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application through our recruitment portal in English, and include:
- A letter of application;
- A statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and
- CV with contact details of three referees
Interested and qualified? Go to African Population And Health Research Center (APHRC) on aphrc.org to apply